As of today, nine of the confirmed deaths from Hurricane Laura were caused by carbon monoxide poisoning from the improper use of portable generators. These types of deaths are preventable if you follow some basic safety tips when using portable generators.
OPERATE GENERATORS OUTDOORS in an area with plenty of ventilation. Never run a generator in a home or garage. Generators give off deadly carbon monoxide gas that is odorless.
DO NOT PLUG GENERATOR INTO THE WALL to avoid back feed. Use heavy-duty extension cords to connect appliances to the outlets on the generator.
TURN THE GENERATOR ON BEFORE PLUGGING APPLIANCES TO IT. Once the generator is running, turn your appliances on one at a time to avoid overloading the unit. Remember, generators are for temporary usage; prioritize your needs.
Be sure the GENERATOR IS TURNED OFF AND ALLOWED TO COOL BEFORE REFUELING IT.
KEEP CHILDREN AND PETS AWAY FROM THE GENERATOR. Many components are hot enough to burn you during operation.
Have a WORKING CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM on each level of your home.
Comments are closed.